Earlier today, LEGO released information about their new game, LEGO: Dimensions. This game contains everything LEGO video game fans have been waiting for: the ability to use both traditional LEGO blocks to play a video game. Sounds crazy, right? Well, it is, especially since it competes with Activision’s Skylanders and Disney’s Disney Infinity games.
After reviewing the trailer, it seems that the player uses a portal that they must build out of various LEGO pieces and looks like the platform you use for Skylanders. At the beginning, Gandalf, Batman, and Wyldstyle inform the player that a bad man in a helmet has taken their friends and is tearing rifts throughout the universe. The game surrounds the LEGO universe as a whole, but each series are in it’s own dimensions. You can see that The Lego Movie, DC Comics, The Lord of the Rings, The Wizard of Oz, Back to the Future, and Star Wars each will have their own dimensions and will have a role in the story.
LEGO: Dimensions is coming to Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and Wii U on September 27th for North America (September 29th for Europe). The game includes:
- LEGO: Dimensions game (chosen console)
- LEGO Toy Pad (where the characters come to life)
- LEGO Gateway Blocks
- 3 LEGO characters (Batman, Gandalf, and Wyldstyle)
- LEGO Batmobile
Additional packs will be sold at a later date. These include:
- Back to the Future Level Pack/Marty McFly figure
- LEGO Ninjago Team Pack/Kai and Cole figures
- Three Ninjago Fun Packs/Jay, Nya, and Zane figures
- Two DC Comics Fun Packs/ Wonder Woman and Cyborg figures
- Three The Lord of the Rings Fun Packs/Gollum, Gimli, and Legolas figures
- Four The LEGO Movie Fun packs/Emmet, Bad Cop, Benny, and Unikitty figures
- The Wizard of Oz Fun Pack/Wicked Witch of the West figure
You can pre-order LEGO: Dimensions at Toys R’ Us for $99.99.