Nintendo has finally released the long awaited Nintendo 3DS system update that adds Miiverse, Nintendo Network IDs, and a unified eShop wallet.
Miiverse can finally be accesed via a Nintendo 3DS thanks to this update. That means 3DS users will get to experience Nintendo’s own social network which debuted back in November 2012 on the Wii U. 3DS users can now interact with other players and share gaming moments. Players are allowed to posted screenshots on Miiverse just like on the Wii U. Although to use Miiverse, 3DS users will have to either create a Nintendo Network ID or link their existing Nintendo Network ID that was used on their Wii U. It’s a really easy process that will gain you access to Miiverse on the 3DS. That beign said, it’s important to note that using Miiverse on 3DS has its rectrictions. For example you can’t send friend requests because friend codes still exist. Although you are able to follow other Miiverse users.
This system update also added a unified eShop wallet. Now when you add funds on either your Wii U or 3DS, you’ll be able to spend it on whichever eShop you desire.
What other things did this update add? Well, it finally got rid of the system transfer limit! Yes, the five system transfer limit per system has finally been removed. Also the start up method for the camera from the Home menu has changed. Pressing either L or R won’t launch the camera anymore; now you have to press both L and R buttons simultaneously to access the camera from the Home menu.
This system update added a lot of great things and is definitely a step in the right direction in building a proper account system. Now we have to wait until the next system update to see if Nintendo is willing to take more steps.
Full Information about this update:
Version 7.0.0-13U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:
Added Support for Nintendo Network IDs:
- Users can now create or link a Nintendo Network ID, which is required to use some network services, from within System Settings
- Nintendo eShop has been updated to support Nintendo Network IDs (*1)
- For more information regarding Nintendo Network IDs, please visit our Nintendo Network ID introduction page
Added Support for Miiverse:
- Users can now view and post to Miiverse from Nintendo 3DS family systems
- For more information regarding Miiverse, please visit our Miiverse introduction page
Added a Software Update Notification:
- A notification will now display when software is started and update data is available (*2)
Removed the limit to system transfers:
- The previous limit of five system transfers per system has been removed
Changed the start-up method of Nintendo 3DS Camera from the HOME Menu:
- Pressing the L and R Buttons simultaneously will now start the Nintendo 3DS Camera from the HOME Menu
Improved system stability and usability:
- Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
*1 Credit card information stored on the Nintendo eShop will be deleted after this update is performed or after linking a new Nintendo Network ID
*2 SpotPass must be enabled to use this feature